l Sound Play Dough Mat
A Phonics Worksheet with a Difference
This l sound play dough mat is ideal for Exploring Initial Sounds, Letter Formation & Auditory Discrimination.
These alphabet mats are a hands-on way for students to learn letters,
beginning sounds and increase their phonic awareness in an enjoyable way.
l sound play dough mat
l Sound Play Dough Mat – Word List
l Sound Play Dough Mat – Auditory Discrimination
How to Download Your Phonics Resource:
- Add the l sound play dough mat to your Cart using the ‘Add to Cart’ Button. NB You can only get the resources 5 at a time. #longstory
- Press the very small ‘View Cart’ Button at the very top right of this page.
- Press the ‘Proceed to Checkout’ Button
- Add your email address to prove you are human
- Press ‘Place Order’ and then scroll down to ‘Order Details’ and click on your resource there. It will open ready to save, print, cut out and laminate.
10 Possible Activities:
1. When saying the words place an OVER EMPHASIS on the beginning sound – teacher and student say l-l-l-ladder etc
2. When saying the words place an OVER EMPHASIS on the medial sound – teacher and student say l-i-zz-zz-zz-ard etc
3. When saying the words place an OVER EMPHASIS on the final sound – teacher and student say l-i-o-n-n-n
4. Trace finger over the large letter f using the correct letter formation and say each the words each image represents. (with and without false pronunciation).
5. In pairs students trace the focus letter on the backs, backs of hands, foreheads, cheeks of their friends. This works well with eyes closed and the students guess the letter drawn.
6. Roll the play dough (or Play-Doh) to a SUPER THICK log and place it onto the large f.
7. Roll the play dough (as above hehehehe) into SUPER SKINNY snakes and place them onto the little ns.
8. Make the whole words OFF the mat and break the word into its component parts e.g. l i z ar d . Students rearrange the sounds to form nonsense words
9. Send the link to these play dough mats home with the children and encourage the students to download the ‘Ones they feel they need to work on’
10. Use a sharp pencil to press dots into the play dough to form a letter f.
Where to Next?